Taras Shevchenko. Novopetrovsk fort. Interior view. Stained paper, pencil (12 × 28 cm). [Novopetrovsk fort]. [1856 – VII 1857]. Taras Shevchenko National Museum, inv. g – 597.
Top right ink marked: Number 117 – 121.
Internal view of the fortifications from the church stairs, part of which is visible in the foreground of the picture. Sketches of the fortifications of the open space Shevchenko could do only after it became aware of his near release.
Right – commandant house with two lions at the entrance [these two sculptures mistakenly attributed Shevchenko (see note allegedly attributed to Shevchenko's works in 10 volume)]. Stairs from the opposite side painted by Br. Zaleski in watercolor, placed in the Obruchev's album [Taras Shevchenko National Museum, inv. g – 1204].
In the catalog of Tarnowski's museum figure recorded under the name "Town, on the first plan – embankment" and suggested that it made at the time of the return from exile; A. Novitsky described it as a "house of the Novopetrovsk commandant" ["Paintings of Taras Shevchenko." – Manuscript in the Taras Shevchenko National Museum, p. 276, № 846].
Storage areas: V. Tarnowski's Chernihiv museum of ukrainian antiquities – № 365, Chernihiv Historical Museum, Institute of Taras Shevchenko, Kharkiv – Kyiv, Gallery of pictures Shevchenko, Kharkiv.
G. P. Palamarchuk
After publication: Taras Shevchenko Complete Works in 10 volumes. – Kyiv: ed. Academy of sciences of UkrSSR, 1964, Vol. 9, № 176 (image), p. 76 (note).